Horsell Bowling Club has been part of the Horsell community since 1920 and was associated to the Surrey Bowling Association in 1924.
Peter Shrubb joined the Club in 1994. He was Club Captain from 2000 to 2003 and President from 2004 to 2012. Peter worked tirelessly for many years, leading the committee seeking improved Clubhouse facilities. His efforts led
to the building of our new Clubhouse and on 20th September 2013, in the presence of members of Peter's family, Club members and specially invited guests the Clubhouse was renamed the Peter Shrubb Pavilion in his memory.
As with many other bowling clubs at the time, we were linked with a public house. For us it was the Red Lion, Horsell. The bowling green was originally laid out where the current garden of the Red Lion runs out from the back of its building. In 1963 the Club moved to its present location at Queen Elizabeth Gardens. The photograph below shows the Clubhouse as it was at the time of the move.
The original Clubhouse and the events held there are remembered with affection by many of our older members. However, because of the limitations primarily the changing facilities and kitchen area it was decided to seek to build a new Clubhouse. Negotiations led by Peter Shrubb (Club President) began with Woking Council and in 2008 the negotiations came to fruition and work started on the building of the new Clubhouse, which stands on the site of the original.
During the rebuilding period, the Club were able to fulfil their playing obligations with the generous help of our local opponents, who allowed us to play home and away fixtures on their greens.
Finally, the new Clubhouse was completed in time for the 2009 season and on 7th March 2009 the Mayor of Woking, Councillor Peter W. Ankers, in the company of Peter Shrubb (Club President) and
Terry Applin (Club Captain), representatives from many of the other
bowling clubs in the Woking area together with invited guests from local
organisations, opened the new Clubhouse (photo below).